November 26, 2012

Fall Garden


There are two things that I especially love to take pictures of :  my kids and my garden.  I'm not comfortable with putting my kids out on the world wide web but here's some of what is growing in my garden right now...


Broccoli

Bell Peppers

Swiss Chard Bright Lights

Sugar Snap Peas

Turnips popping up

Peppermint

Purple Kale

Gypsy Peppers

Cherry tomatoes

Green onions, collard greens, broccoli rabe, & cauliflower

Every day I love to check on how my garden is doing.  And I'm not ashamed to admit that sometimes I talk to my plants, encouraging them and the beneficial insects that reside there.  Gardening is very therapeutic for me!  I wish I could live out on the land and have room to grow all my own fruits and veggies.  I know it would be a lot of hard work and maybe I would get tired of it but I love to get my hands in the dirt.  And there's nothing quite like the satisfaction of eating something that we grew in our garden.  That may sound a bit cannibalistic but it's true!

One great thing about living in zone 9a of the deep South is that Fall is an AWESOME time to garden!  There aren't as many greedy bugs, the heat and humidity are way lower and the sun is still shining bea-u-tifully!  And this year our garden seems to have done especially well.

As a family we planted a lot of our fall plants for Family Home Evening.  (For those who have never heard of this, we set aside every Monday night to do things only as a family and we usually have a treat, lesson, and game or activity.  This is a program we have been taught to do by prophets of our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints.)  Planting is usually the fun part.  Weeding is not always on my kids' list of favorite chores.  But they have willingly helped with watering and keeping an eye out for the bad bugs to pick off and we all pray that our garden will do well and God has blessed us!

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving us a comment!