November 15, 2012

Acorn Candleholders

I love fall! 


Down here in the southern most reaches of the southern United States, we generally only have two seasons:  summer and not summer. 

By the end of October, when the rest of the world has been enjoying apple cider, pumpkin patches and watching the leaves change for a month or two (that's what you do in fall, right?) we are just barely getting a break from the heat. 

I know I can't complain that we are still wearing flip flops (and maybe a wind breaker) at Christmas, but I do kinda miss the whole fall/ winter/ spring thing.  We sort of get them, but its all at the same time.  We rake leaves at New Years.  And our world looks almost exactly the same when we trick or treat as when we hunt for eggs. 

Oh well, even though my seasons are goofy, I still like to do what I can to experience a little of the traditional fall feeling in our home.  And what better way than to bring some of the traditional natural fall elements indoors. 

This year we decided to take advantage of the plethora of acorns in our front yard and make something pretty out of them. 


My kids love collecting little bits of nature so when I suggested we collect acorns for a special project they were all over it.  (My two year old is just about to make an acorn discovery in the crack of the sidewalk above.)
Gather a bunch of acorns.  Dump them in a wide mouth mason jar, and stick a fat candle on top.  I'm sure this isn't an original idea, but it sure was fun and easy to do with the kids!  And I think it turned out quite pretty.
For those of you who have been to my house, you will be suprised to see that I've changed my normal decor from piles of clean laundry on my dining table to acorns, candles and pumpkins.  :)
I love how these acorn candle holders turned out, but I must say that pumpkins are my favorite! I love how plump, orange and happy they are! And when you are done decorating with them you can cut them up and make a pie! It doesn't get much better than that, does it?
So what does fall look like where you live? 
Do you love to decorate with natural elements as much as I do? 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your new table arrangement!!! And the candles turned out really cute! What a great fall decor idea to do with kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! What a fun way to decorate! Hey, Southerners are the best 'ers!
    Come South and find out! I'm looking forward to lot's more blogs! Will be checking back soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a comment!